Friday, July 1, 2011

Of not having coffee and them pages (Warning: Mood swing to be accepted)

I just realised that from the number of times I've been at Starbucks, I've never had coffee, and what I ordered has always been hot thick creamy chocolate with non-fat milk. And cinnamon. Lots of cinnamon.

I had quite a long talk with my editor this afternoon (Never thought I had it in me, really: Having a long talk with someone other than my wife, heh. Well, I like my editor: She's nice.) though of course I did most of the listening.

So, we talked about my book and about not so random stuff, mostly about books and publishing here in my country. There is this one company, the biggest publishing house with the largest bookstore chain in the country, having the monopoly on how books are displayed and sold in its stores, and as more than 60% of bookstores in the country bear the co.'s name, there you go.

The publishing house that publishes my books (heh, I have only one book published really, and the second one is out in October, here's hoping) is the second largest and it's suffering from the practice. You can imagine how it is with small ones.

I don't get it really. A book is good, people are looking for it and it sells really well, but as it's not published by this one company, they'd not want to display it on their best seller's list. Heck, they tend to 'hide' the damn book, and people'd have to ask for it. I mean, they sell well meaning the company's bookstores sell a big number of books. That is good. Right?

And I learn also that many of the manuscripts the company receive don't get through a proper editing process. They've 'welcomed' too many manuscripts, maybe, but without enough ready editors to read them (One of my friends works as an editor here (For Disney's comics and magz this company has the publishing rights in my country really but, hey, an editor is an editor, right? And his job got him to visit Pixar Studio once, lucky b*****d, hyuk hyuk. Yea, Dave, it's you I'm looking at.).

The second largest book fair in the country opens tomorrow and the arrangement of the booths and stands apparently also follows what this company dictates how it should be. Oh wow.

We also talked about ghostwriting; something which I have done and which idk if I ever want to do again (cross that: I'll do it again if the $$ is good whoo-hoo).

And of course on my trip home, the traffic was so bad, I fell asleep the moment my bus got stuck. Me driving? Not if I can help it thanks so fricking much.
And thanks for reading this whatever.
Really.
What is this?

No comments:

Post a Comment