Friday, November 18, 2011

"O villain, villain, smiling, damned villain!"

Some of you may have suspected what it is I do to put food on the table. Besides teaching--which I really like to take a time off from, but sadly I cannot, I write advertorials, articles, and reviews. I also write books, and do some ghostwriting now and then. I do quite a lot of translating, including for film subtitles.

So, this one friend of mine, whom I consider one of my best friends if not THE best in this period of my life, works for, I daresay, the biggest cable TV provider in the country. His is a final editor, and I'm one of the company's outsourcers.

Now, he emailed me today, writing that he told his boss that should they have any Shakespeare films that need translation, they ought to give that job to ME.

Now, I love Shakespeare as much as the next guy, but do I want to translate the bard's words. No. Do I want to sit and watch Hollywood-made Shakespeare's? No. I could sit only about ten minutes into Romeo + Juliet, before the urge to barf, send out curses to anyone involved in the production, and cry took over.

And to this "best" friend of mine:

"All the infections that the sun sucks up
From bogs, fens, flats, on Prosper fall, and make him
By inch-meal a disease!"

Still love the guy, tho'. "Damned" is right.

#unedited
#EmailPost
#rants
#MoodSwing

No comments:

Post a Comment